Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -AssetLink
PredictIQ-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 03:56:46
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have PredictIQagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7387)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- How much is your reputation worth?
- AI companies agree to voluntary safeguards, Biden announces
- The Fed's radical new bank band-aid
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- UPS workers poised for biggest U.S. strike in 60 years. Here's what to know.
- Search continues for 9-month-old baby swept away in Pennsylvania flash flooding
- Climate Envoy John Kerry Seeks Restart to US Emissions Talks With China
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Kelsea Ballerini Struck in the Face By Object While Performing Onstage in Idaho
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Christy Carlson Romano Reacts to Chrissy Teigen and John Legend’s Even Stevens-Approved Baby Name
- Conservation has a Human Rights Problem. Can the New UN Biodiversity Plan Solve it?
- The loneliness of Fox News' Bret Baier
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Airline passengers could be in for a rougher ride, thanks to climate change
- Possible Vanderpump Rules Spin-Off Show Is Coming
- About 1 in 10 young adults are vaping regularly, CDC report finds
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Vivek Ramaswamy reaches donor threshold for first Republican presidential primary debate
Possible Vanderpump Rules Spin-Off Show Is Coming
Hawaii's lawmakers mull imposing fees to pay for ecotourism crush
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Dog that walks on hind legs after accident inspires audiences
Is the Paris Agreement Working?
Gen Z is the most pro union generation alive. Will they organize to reflect that?